Time for Toys: Juggling Balls and Bean Bags and...?
For a long time now, I've been making bean bag sets with the leftover flannel from my wheat bags. Bean bags are great for so many things - they are a great addition to 'loose parts play', where children's imagination takes off. Right now I've got my entire stock 25% off in the clearance section - and I'm sewing up all the new ones I've got cut and ready to make. They're not the best sellers in my shop, but I like being able to offer simple fun toys, so they'll be sticking around.
A couple of year ago we introduced Circus Arts at one of the camps we run at work. Last year we took it to the next level and had kids make their own set of juggling balls, using a bin of uncleaned wheat I got by accident. (I only use cleaned wheat in my wheat bags, so I had to find a use for it!) I haven't added these to my shop, because they'd be so easy to make on your own that I didn't think there would be a market for them. BUT, if you want me to make you some, I'd be happy to! ($6) I'm not sure what shipping costs would be, but I'd find that out for you before you commit... and if you're in Regina, pick up is free. :)
There is one other toy that I've been considering making for a few months now... I've followed a maker from Australia on Instagram who makes something along these same lines, and thought I wouldn't be stepping on her toes if I made the same thing here; it's hardly the same market! I've made a couple of samples, and the next step is to source some fun fabrics. I'm going to leave it at that little teaser until I'm ready to commit and until I actually have some to sell.
If you need some toys for your kids or grandkids, or if you think learning to juggle would be the best thing you could do this summer, come visit the shop to look around or send me a message.
Comments
Post a Comment